Call for submissions
for a new Write Now! SF Bay anthology:
Essential Truths: The Bay Area in Color
Early bird submissions: Nov 26 - Dec 15, 2020
Final deadline: Dec 31, 2020
Publication date: June 2021
Photo by Kelechi Ubozoh.
Calling all writers/artists of color and allies with ties to the San Francisco Bay Area.
We each have a unique perspective that enriches our collective awareness. Write Now! SF wants to hear your authentic voice and real-world experiences. No matter how little or much you have written, we want you to submit your work! (no formal literary background required) We highly encourage Black, Latinx, Indigenous, Asian American, Middle Eastern, mixed heritage, LGBTQ+, and immigrant folx to submit to our anthology.
2020 has been a tumultuous year that tested every fiber of our being, and shook relationships with family, community, and the nation. As our basic assumptions about life, fairness, and democracy were upended again and again, what essential truths have emerged for you?
About us: Write Now! SF Bay has been led by and for BIPOC Bay Area writers since 2015 (fiscally sponsored by Intersection for the Arts since 2018). We have worked for multicultural solidarity through community-based stories for 25 years through projects in community health, civil liberties and cultural preservation. Essential Truths: The Bay Area in Color will be our fourth anthology. For more about our books, see www.WriteNowSF.com/books.
Submit prose, poetry or visual art on any of these themes:
• What have you lost, what have you released, what have you gained?
• What has tested and inspired you as a person of color or ally?
• What gives you strength to keep going? What are your sources of inspiration?
• What have you learned? How are you working for positive, sustainable change?
• What are the challenges, lessons and rewards of becoming part of the solution?
Submission details Please label all filenames like this: FirstLastName_Title
• 65-word bio
• 1 prose piece (creative nonfiction, essay, reality-based fiction). Up to 1200 total words total,
double-spaced, .doc or .docx.
• 1-3 poems, up to three single-spaced pages, .doc or .docx.
* 3 color or BW visual artworks (painting, drawing, collage, photo, etc.)
4 x 6 in, 300dpi JPEGs with titles and optional artist statement and/or captions (up to 500 words .
Previously published works OK. You may submit up to three times
Please put your name and title in subject line
Early bird submissions $10 (through Dec 15)
Submission fee $15 Dec 16 - Dec 31
Notifications by February 28, 2021. (Please add us to your contact list.)
Book Launch/Creative Showcase, June 2021
Virtual or onsite at Koret Auditorium, San Francisco Main Library and Oakland Asian Cultural Center